Sunday, November 1, 2009

November!

It’s here!  When do you start planning your Christmas decorating?  I usually begin decorating the day after Thanksgiving.  This year COULD be a very depressing Thanksgiving and Christmas.  The first without my Mother.  It’s all still so surreal.  You know, you think of something you need to share, and almost reach for the phone.  BUT…….I will not give in to this depression.  Certainly my Mother would not want me to.  SO…I’m decorating BIGGER and BETTER this year.  Creating Christmas vignettes is my favorite thing to do. 

008

My new banner was taken from this picture.  I found those little felt angels in my mother’s decorations.  They were, each one, lovingly handmade by my great aunt.  Her name was Florence, but we all called her “Tootsie.” I never knew why, but the name certainly fit her.  She was silly and happy and always had a smile for everyone. 

SO……my banner honors the holidays, my mother and her aunt.

016

One of mother’s Christmas houses.

011

A closer look.

009

A few of my favorites.

012

I found some really really ugly Christmas ornaments with these cute little doll heads just covered in ugly green silk and lace.  I tore all of that off and was left with these little sweeties.  I may use them in a project or not.  They’re cute as is.

019

018

And so……the decorating has already begun.  It always begins around November 1st when I decorate BIG.  Which isn’t often.  This will be a holiday infused with laughter, glitter, beauty, and fun.  I am determined!  Which is not to say that there will not be crying.  I’m sure there will be.  But that’s okay.  You have to work through these losses.

You notice I didn’t say cooking or baking.  Any volunteers?  NO? 

Huuummm……..now who will see all of these fabulous decorations?  I’m scheming.  Yes I am!  Stay tuned for more……………………………..

10 comments:

  1. I cannot wait to see your decor for the holidays! I know it's going to be fabulous!

    LuLu~*xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure your Chritsmas decor will be great. I can wait to see it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the spirit, Sister! Bigger and better! I love the felt angels, the dollie heads and the other pretty one with white and glitter and all of their beautiful-ness!!! It will be gorgeous and twinklie and miraculous! (And yes, there will be tears, but go with it, it's okay). Take it easy on you and let the spirit of the season and all of the good things about your Mom and Holidays past, wash over you. You'll be fine, and remember that any way you feel is FINE!

    Big Hugs,
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those little felt angels are cute. Your mother had very good taste. I have started planning already! I usually buy new Christmas decorations as soon as they hit the shops here in the UK, which is around the middle of October! I'm sure your mother will be much missed this Christmas but like you said, she wouldn't want you to by sad so celebrate this Christmas in memory of your dear mother.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Bella. Love your pics. I understand what you are going through. I lost my Mom a few years ago and the first year is the hardest. Sometimes I still reach for the phone to call her or see something that she may like and I want to buy it.

    Willow

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your blog banner looks just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Denise,
    At soon as I saw your new header I knew I was in for a treat. Your angels are so sweet and remember they are not just decorations but a reminder that your mother is by your side ALWAYS!!! I wish I could come thru this computer and give you a huge hug and tell you it will get better. Know that I think of you....often dear friend!!!!
    xxxooo.....Carole

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your Christmas decorations!! Looking forward to seeing more over the coming weeks.

    I don't begin Christmas decorating until Thanksgiving weekend. My Dad always had a HUGE display - indoor and out when we were growing up but as he will be 84 this Sunday, he has cut back considerably. Every year, I think about continuing the tradition - some years, I do, others, not so much.

    I'm so sorry about the loss of your Mother and I commend you on continuing her precious traditions. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, just found you again after starting my own blog this summer. Your felt angels are just precious, and I can't wait to see how you "do" Christmas! Having a parent gone at the holidays is just so hard. We need to hang on to the "family traditions" if we can. I'm heading back through your older posts, I need to try to catch up. Come by for a visit when you can. So glad to find you again!(just joined as a follower)
    Debra

    ReplyDelete
  10. Doing Christmas decorating in a big way is a wonderful way to keep the memories of your mother and Aunt Tootsie alive. Thanks for sharing such a heartfelt post.

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate your comments!

ShareThis

 
} catch(err) {}