Well…..here it is, at least what I have finished to date. I have to admit, I only took photos of one side of the room. With all of the sewing junk, the rest of the room is anything but photo worthy.
If you have been following my blog for awhile, you know that I’ve been anxious to get rid of my oh so DATED brass bed. But I had a budget of, well….almost nothing! So enter Annie Sloan chalk paint. Duck Egg Blue and Paris Gray.
First, I painted the bed duck egg and then dry brushed the gray over that. You can see how the color appears lighter half way down. That’s because I waxed the top half. Kind of an experiment to see how durable the finish would be. It’s held up okay, but I am going to touch up the places where the brass is showing through and then clear coat it instead.
Next, I wanted to hide that ugly head board. So I decided on a slipcover.
I cheated and only painted the rails part way down. Shhhhh…..don’t tell anyone! Then I took an old quilt that I had and cut it up. I duck taped it to the headboard. Just to give it a little cushion.
The slip simply wraps over the top and then ties on the sides. I added little details like ruffles and the white flowers across the head board.
We sleep with a lot of pillows and I’ve always looked for some kind of a solution to cover them without removing them from the bed every morning. I admit it, I’m a lazy bed maker!
So I came up with this. A pillow wrap. I used a full width of my toile fabric, added linen on each side, a flange for added interest, and then in the same white fabric as I used on the head board, a great big ruffle. I LOVE it. It touches the floor on either side of the bed and adds a pretty romantic look.
We simply fold it down at night, and turn it down inside of the quilt .
I kept my pine chest on hubby’s side of the bed and left my family memory board above. I still like it as much as the day I made it. So many sweet memories!
On my side of the bed…….
I repainted this piece in the duck egg blue. It was formerly black. I would highly recommend this color! The paint covered well and is a wonderful soft color.
The inside of the glass is covered with cotton lace. I actually used my glue gun to attach it! I know, I know, lazy! But it hid the black interior and I didn’t have to paint the inside.
I made this loooonng pillow recently. A taupe cotton fabric that I already had was a perfect match, as was the black check that I used for the cording. The flowers are made from all of my bedroom fabrics.
I also made the one directly behind it. I really am in love with my toile fabric. It’s not as “in style” as it used to be, but certainly fit the bill for the look I was trying to create in this room. And the blue in the background couldn’t have been a more perfect match!
So there you have it. I removed most of the décor that I had on the walls. I like the more serene, quiet, simple (for me) look. My quilt belonged to my Mother. It’s already starting to show some wear. Large dogs on the bed just aren’t a great idea. But what can I say…..she’s our 70 pound baby! So anywho…..it’s looking like my next project may be a duvet cover. Probably in something close to the same color. That way I could always change up my colors a little bit with the seasons. Yeah right, like that’s going to happen……
Hope you have a fabulous week.
Mod Vintage Monday Direct link located on my bottom left sidebar