Tuesday, June 26, 2012

The Power of Paint. Updating my Kitchen!

I hope that everyone is having a wonderful summer.  The heat is in full swing here, so I finally had a moment to sit down and blog.  I have been working tirelessly painting my kitchen cabinets.  For any of you who have done the same, you know it’s a slooooww process. 

But I am ALMOST done.  ALMOST……..

There is really no stopping point for the wood work in my kitchen.  Making it difficult to use anything other than one color.  So I compromised.

Although I wanted this entire side of the kitchen in grey, I ended up only painting the cabinet doors on the top so that the white would flow through the entire kitchen.

The grey is Seattle Mist by CeCe Caldwell.  The white is Anne Sloan old white.  Which gave me the perfect opportunity to test BOTH of these products and compare them.  I have to say that the A.S. chalk paint wins hands down over the CeCe Caldwell.  It isn’t as runny and goes on much smoother and gives a much nicer finish.  Because I was painting so many cabinets, there was no way that I was going to wax over everything.  Instead I choose the polyacrylic satin finish top coat that we use on all of our furniture.  We have used it many times on the A.S. chalk paint with consistently great results.  Not so with the CeCe Caldwell.  When I clear coated over this product, I was left with dark streaks and  darker patches.  Thank GOODNESS I only painted this small bank of cabinets because I was about ready to pull my hair out.  In the end, I had to prime over each door and start completely over.  Although this still did not leave me with a perfect finish, it’s much nicer and I’m leaving well enough alone!  I do love love this color though.

 

I left my wallpaper faux finished back splash.  Even my old counter tops look nicer with the new paint!  Darn it!  I soooo want to replace them.  I love my little lamp that I found at The Rink.  It had a hunter green shade with little apples.  YUK.  I replaced it with this simple linen shade from Target.

The black knobs are from Hobby Lobby.  Do you like my little fruit crate?  I think it looks pretty cute in my cabinet.

Part of the other side of the kitchen.  I made myself a few cute kitchen towels for a splash of color.

I freshened up some hardware that I already had with black spray paint.

And finally installed a couple of hooks for my aprons.  Instead of hanging them from nails. 

Heather told me about this cute rug from Lowes.  I have to say though, that I am a little disappointed in the way it washed.  One of the edges is already unraveling.

I am definitely loving the way my kitchen is shaping up!  And I LOVE A.S. chalk paint.  I does everything I had heard it does and more. 

Next, I have to choose a paint color for the walls.  Surely I can find something out of the bazillion samples I have taped to the wall.  Smile

Hope you are having a wonderful week!

Denise

9 comments:

  1. Hi Denise! I am really liking your kitchen! Of course, I have a soft spot for grey cabinetry, since I just painted my cabinets grey too. If you have time, stop by and see my kitchens cabinets. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I want to paint my cabinets white--they are just tired of being their old maple self. You did a super job.Have a great week.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cabinets look beautiful, Denise! I especially love that bank of glass doored cabinets and the colors you used there. I was glad that when we moved the condo already had creamy white cabinets so it saved me having to do any painting myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your kitchen looks so great! Love the cabinets and the knobs and hooks and I didn't know you had that pretty stainless oven. Love all of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful Kitchen! Enjoy it. Grace xoox

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm just pooped after reading how hard you have worked on this Denise...but so worth every bit of effort. It is BEAUTIFUL!!! Your colorful towel is perfect! Such a pretty pop of color!

    Have a lovely Wednesday my friend.

    hugs from here...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I enjoy it. Your kitchen looks so great.Photos are very nice. How possible to decorate a kitchen. Excellent! Thanks again for your post. Waiting for your future Posts as well.

    If you have spare time and looking for a great site for Snow White story. Visit the site, name is DREAM LAND WORLD. This site can be useful to you, your family and friend’s. Don’t forget to visit the site.
    DREAM LAND WORLD

    ReplyDelete
  8. YES
    I like your fruit crate up in the cabinet , really I like it all
    next time you have a shade you don't like paint it , I painted a shade black and love it

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful area to work in. It would definitely make cooking less laborious for me. (I hate to cook anyway, and my kitchen is darkish - black appliances and deep reddish-brown cupboards. Since I rent and the cupboards are relative new, I have to live with them. Love the rest of the house, so moving isn't a viable option.)

    Thanks so much for sharing your experiences with AS Chalk Paint and CeCe Caldwell. Both are sold in my town, and one of the shops is really pushing CeCe's. I read your post in time to save me some heartache.

    Thanks for posting.

    Enjoy your kitchen.

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate your comments!

ShareThis

 
} catch(err) {}