Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Valentine Garland

What to do…..what to do….when you’re laying around feeling under the weather?  Practice your pompom making skills, of course!  So I tried the fork method.  The wrapping it around a plastic container lid method.  The wrapping it around your hand method.  The rectangle cardboard method.  They were all okay, but required a lot of trimming to get them in shape.  And apparently I was never intended to be a barber.  A few of mine were a little scary!  Even AFTER their hair cut!  Finally, I resorted to Google and found the ROUND double cardboard method.  You can see the tutorial HERE.  By far the best, easiest, and fastest method that I tried. 

So anywho……..I had a lot of pompoms.   Valentine Garland Time!

HAD to have hearts.

Cut out paper with my favorite craft scissors.

Cut out red felt hearts. 

Take both to the sewing machine.

20130122_115703

Use a contrasting thread and set your stitch length a little longer.  You want the stitching to show.

Hummmm……I wonder how another layer would look?

20130122_120148

Don’t worry about being perfect.  Imperfection is part of the perfection that is whimsical!  HUH?? 

Anywho…….(again)

20130122_150723

I tied my pompoms to a long piece of white yarn and finished off the ends with seam binding.  I poked a hole through the red yarn of my little hearts and used red and white twine to attach them to the garland.  I made tons of hearts thinking that I wanted them between every pompom but only ended up using three of them.  Looks like my little downstairs mantel will be getting a heart garland!

20130122_150702

Finally, I tacked the garland to my FAVORITE new burlap covered cork board.  Well, sorta new.  I bought it last fall.

20130122_150654

I love it.  Along with all of my old photos.

My corkboard is made from the front of an old crackled, distressed cabinet.  It’s at the top of my stairs and I am really enjoying it.

valentine1

20130122_150954

20130122_150905

A fun Valentine garland!  Or baby shower, or Easter, or whatever!

Joining Be Inspired Friday at Common Ground

Feathered Nest Friday

and The Charm of Home parties.  Their direct links may be found on my bottom left sidebar.  Give them all a visit.  Lots of pretty things to see!

Have a happy week!

Denise

7 comments:

  1. Super cute garland! Love that cork board too! Love the haphazard way your sewed the hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My gosh Denise...this is so pretty!!!!!!! I love it!!!! Now I hope you get to feeling better too!
    hugs from here...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sure do love your garland...so full and richly done!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ra Ra for the pompoms they look really cute. The last time I made some I wasn't very happy with it but I was using fabric so I'll try yarn instead.
    x
    C

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it!! I'm a big fan of pompoms and yours look great using raspberry and white for your garland. The little fabric hearts you made are the perfect addition too. I use the cardboard method to make my pompoms, but they do require a lot of trimming as you said. May have to look at your method instead. I like how you added your garland to the bulleting board too. That's a great place to add something fun like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LoVe the Pom-Pom VaLenTine Heart Garland!*!*!
    Jeanine Burkhardt

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate your comments!

ShareThis

 
} catch(err) {}