Friday, August 2, 2013

Starting A New Project. Reclaiming My Outdoor Space!

I hate to admit it, but my backyard has been a HUGE eye sore for a couple of years now.  The house needed to be painted so so badly and it just seemed easier to ignore the back yard.  But NOW the house is painted, and 90% of the construction is finished so I’m ready to get busy!
So…..I have the most awesome but totally neglected deck.  It’s about 15 feet wide and 12 feet deep and has a metal roof and really awesome beams that run from front to back.  We’re painting the deck ourselves.  “YUCK!”  I attempted to talk hubby into letting the painters do it but it was a no go.

AND……I have lots and lots of cool “stuff” just waiting to be used!
20130801_101518
Like this bench.  It came out of my Daddy’s garage and was his work bench.  Probably a silly thing to feel sentimental about, but I do.  But won’t it make an awesome garden/potting bench!?   I’m going to use the old box  sitting in front of it for pinion wood.
20130801_101459
Here’s my cast iron chimenea.  It’s one of my most favorite things!  We bought it at Sam’s years and years ago.  I has a door that swings open and a grate that holds the wood up enough to let air circulate.  We’ve had some pretty nice fires burning over the years and a few marshmallows have been roasted also!
20130801_101541
My twig bench.  I also have two matching chairs but I may use the little turquoise table that you can see the edge of in the pic. above,  and create a little eating area.
20130801_101531
Awesome red box!   I’m going to add wheels to it.
20130801_101526
Old chair that hubby brought me.  FREE!   I should probably paint it and sell it, but I keep thinking of how cute it would be with the seat removed turned into a flower planter.  There’s another look at my little table with the turquoise top in the background.


My chicken nesting box.  I had almost forgotten about it!


This is an AWESOME old, heavy school door.  An old rusty architectural piece on the ledge above it.



A great selection of pots and garden statuary.
And then there’s this……

Old armoire that had seen better days.  One day I slapped some “oops” paint that I had bought for like, $5.00 for the entire gallon, on it with zero expectations of the paint sticking.  And it defies anything I’ve ever seen!  It’s holding up GREAT.  I keep garden tools in it.  It will stay right where it is!  And on and on.  As you can probably see, the deck itself need either stain or something.  Lattice that needs to be taken down or repaired.  But lots and lots of potential.  I’ll be posting pics. as the work progresses.  Naturally, the weather has chosen NOW to turn hotter than heck.   I may be working by candle lite!  Thanks so much for stopping by!
Denise

4 comments:

  1. You have SO many treasures here! That armoire is beautiful. I like that it holds your tools. How fancy. :)

    XOXO,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh...I can't wait to see how your space turns out. I know it will be fabulous...everything you do is fabulous. I do see how you can be sentimental about that work bench. It will be a great potting bench and your Dad would love it that you will use it. I know my Dad would think it was a great idea. I have an old hubcap that is dear to me because my Dad gave it to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all of the things you're going to use in your outdoor area!! The bench is great. I don't blame you for wanting to keep that. Love the twig furniture and the chimenea too. It's going to look great once it's all set up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have such great plans for your back covered deck Denise and I for one can't wait to see the outcome. I think I am in love with your armoire as a tool stash. Such a GREAT idea.
    I laughed when you said you tried to talk hubs into hiring a painter...that IS SO ME!!!
    I love your dad's workbench and the fact you will be using that too.
    many hugs from me...

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate your comments!

ShareThis

 
} catch(err) {}